Clear all

My job interview

10 Posts
5 Users
4 Likes
(@advocadossgmail-com)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone!

Last week I've been to a new job interview. Today they called me back and rejected my candidature. The reason is that I'm pregnant (it's only 3 weeks by now). Have any of you ever faced such situations? I don't understand exactly what should I do with it now.  Do I have any chances to find job now?

Dick Woodward
(@dick-woodward)
Member Registered

Did they specifically tell you that it was because you were pregnant? If you are only 3 weeks pregnant, how exactly did they know?

Dick

This post was modified 5 years ago by Dick Woodward

ReplyQuote
Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)

The original post is way too strange . . . there must be a miscommunication. Please edit the original posting to be more clear. How in the world would any employer "guess" at someone being pregnant by only three weeks. Did you tell them this during the interview? I'm not sure what the situation is, but many first class companies will have no issues hiring a woman who is pregnant. Clearly, they might recommend that you apply again if you are 8 months and showing . . . but, you're in the prime time of your job search if you are only a few weeks pregnant. You can inquire with HR about their policies but I wouldn't be so direct if I were you and talk about pregnancy.

Can we please have some women jump in on this one? Here, we are two old guys responding to a young woman who should be addressed by another female. Help!

Dave

This post was modified 5 years ago 3 times by Dave Jensen

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
(@advocadossgmail-com)
Topic starter  

Thank you for your answers. 

Yes, during our interview they asked me if I'm married and about kids too. I  just didn't want to lie + I had no idea this could be a problem.

ReplyQuote
DX
 DX
(@dx)
Estimable Member

Yes but did they tell you specifically it was due to pregnancy?! 

Like Dave said, there are first class companies who will hire you if you are best fit for the role.  But ... let’s get real here ... companies don’t hire you. A hiring manager does and his/her team does.  Ok?  So if you are best candidate and the hiring manager wants you ... no problem.

Now also Dave notes - I would not direct attention to pregnancy in an interview unless of course showing - because ...and here is some more real world for you...there is pressure to deliver and some hiring managers (and teams) just don’t want to be bothered with someone who will go on maternity leave, enter having to find a contractor maybe, having projects not delivered and so and so and so on.  So if they can proactively avoid it in a hiring process... for the most part they will.  

Now this is NOT a male discrimination thing, some of the bad behaviors, if not most, I have seen have been from Women!!! Not men.  I remember a team that hired a 7 month pregnant FTE, know who were the ones who were shaking their heads negatively? It was mainly   The females.  On the upside, the hiring manager was female. Not that it matters.   

But this is a reality and you won’t find reason for non-hiring due to preganancy written anywhere or verbally expressed in any official capacity -  unfortunately you will never know unless they specifically said due to preganancy ... so the question again ....

did they tell you it was due to pregnancy? 

I bet not.   At best you probably got “not a team fit” or “not appropriately qualified due to experience”.  

You will have no way of knowing if you were the best candidate. So... 

unless showing .. don’t mention it.  If showing, well you be proud and hopefully you find an awesome hiring manager/team who will see you as best and hire you.

So not a woman but real world -  

You can be hired indeed but, be real and know you will have folks who will be against not you per se,but the idea of having a new FTE hire on maternity leave at some point.

It stinks - i know.  Not a woman ... but a father and husband to a wife who is also in Pharma. We had some experiences during my wife’s pregancy/maternity a bit different that yours but just pointed to the unfair challenges women bear. So again not a woman but empathy wise - I can relate.

dx

This post was modified 5 years ago by DX

ReplyQuote
(@tomf1994yahoo-com)

I know there are certain questions that you are not allowed to ask people and this one strikes me as that type of question---at least in the US.  I'd be interested to know the legalities involved in asking about one's personal status.  I'm not sure I'd do anything against the offending company, but it will at least arm me with what potential employers can and cannot ask.   

ReplyQuote
DX
 DX
(@dx)
Estimable Member

Hi TFinn, As an expat American I have seen what applies in the US does not apply ex US - especially on some of these sensitive topics and even in Global pharmas with globally harmonized and applied policies.  For example where I live certainly discussion of family in an interview is cultural norm despite company policy (it’s Changing and it’s becoming more restrictive for both good and the bad).

hell its our culture norm for men and woman colleagues to kiss each other 3 times on the cheek even if we’re meeting for the first time!! The the US you’d sue for that.

so yes it can happen.  In this case seems like the original poster volunteered this info. 

DX

ReplyQuote
(@tomf1994yahoo-com)

Posted by: DX

Hi TFinn, As an expat American I have seen what applies in the US does not apply ex US - especially on some of these sensitive topics and even in Global pharmas with globally harmonized and applied policies.  For example where I live certainly discussion of family in an interview is cultural norm despite company policy (it’s Changing and it’s becoming more restrictive for both good and the bad).

hell its our culture norm for men and woman colleagues to kiss each other 3 times on the cheek even if we’re meeting for the first time!! The the US you’d sue for that.

so yes it can happen.  In this case seems like the original poster volunteered this info. 

DX

Oh definitely---it wasn't clear from the OP where this person had an interview.  I clarified "at least in the US" in the event the person was here interviewing.  But yeah, the norms of interviewing certainly differ depending on where you are in the world.  

ReplyQuote
(@advocadossgmail-com)
Topic starter  

I'm a bit stressed out last few days, thank you for your non-indifference. My friends and family are worried too, we started to look for information about such cases and I found out that this sort of discrimination (if we can call it like this is)...well a common thing nowadays.  I've just never heard about that before.

But it seems like things are getting better, today one good company offered me job and I feel so much better now. I hope I'll never face that unpleasant feeling again.

This post was modified 5 years ago by Dave Jensen

ReplyQuote
Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)

Please tell us, how did the company know you are pregnant? That's the key question, still unanswered. Happy you got a good offer!

Dave Jensen, Moderator

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
Share: